|Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala |
This recipe combines the best techniques and elements of chicken tikka masala recipes for the slow cooker to create what I hope is one of the best versions out there.
For the marinade:
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 3 T lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, cut into 2-inch pieces
For the slow cooker:
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 T fresh ginger, grated
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 T garam masala (see note)
- 1 T cumin
- ½ T smoked paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp black pepper
- 1-3 tsp cayenne pepper
- 29 ounces of fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 3 T Minute tapioca
- 1 T dark brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream (optional)
- chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, and spices.
- Add chicken and stir to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate at least two hours or overnight.
- Saute onions in olive oil until translucent and tender.
- Add garlic, ginger, tomato paste, and spices (garam masala through cayenne pepper) to onions and stir to combine.
- Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tapioca, sugar, and bay leaves to slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Add onion mixture and chicken to slow cooker. Gently stir to combine.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low.
- If you wish, stir in heavy cream at the end.
- Garnish and serve over rice or with naan.
Recipe by The MyUntangled Life Blog at http://myuntangledlife.com/slow-cooker-chicken-tikka-masala/