Tell the truth. Did you pick too many apples this fall? I have not had a chance to pick apples this season, but I stopped at the farmstand for a local orchard and bought a lot of apples. In fact, I am hoping to get back there again to buy more. If you are lucky enough to live close to apple orchards, you will understand how hard it is to resist buying more than you might realistically need. Even if you are only able to get them in a store, at this time of year they are so beautiful and in such abundance.
One of the many great things about apples is how versatile they are. While I tend to enjoy baking with them (see Rita’s Apple Cake and Quick Apple Coffee Cake), I am always looking for uses for them in savory recipes as well. Sometimes the bit of sweetness from or crunch of apple can balance out a recipe. Here is a round up of ten savory apple recipes that I am hoping to try.
- Carrot Apple Ginger Soup from Joy the Baker
- Pork and Apple Salad with Blue Cheese from the Food Network Magazine
- Roasted Apple and Brie Grilled Cheese from Kailley’s Kitchen
- Hard Cider Pork Chops with Apples and Onions from Aggies Kitchen
- Sweet Potato, Chipotle and Apple Soup from Food & Wine
- Apple Omelette With Cheddar And Thyme from What Should I Eat for Breakfast Today?
- Sweet Asian Slaw with Apple and Corn from Reluctant Entertainer
- Caramelized Onion & Cheddar Crostinis With Prosciutto Wrapped Apples by Krafted Koch
- Quinoa Salad with Hazelnuts, Apple, and Dried Cranberries from FOOD52
- Caramelized Apple, Bacon and Blue Cheese Pan Pizza from Girl Versus Dough