I was recently introduced to the term “flexitarian” and discovered that this describes the way that I eat. Wikipedia also calls it “semi-vegetarian” and says it means eating a diet that is mostly “plant-based with the occasional inclusion of meat products”. If it weren’t for my love of bacon and a really good cheeseburger, I could probably go all the way.
So when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner, the turkey has never been at the top of my list of what I look forward to. For me, it has always been about the side dishes and desserts. What yummy goodness combining root vegetables and fall fruits, using techniques like roasting and baking, will show up on the table to dress up the plate? And as I started gathering recipe ideas on Pinterest for dinner this year, I realized that many of the side dishes that looked so delicious also happened to be vegetarian. Here are some of my top contenders for this year’s menu.
1. Apple Sauerkraut au Gratin–Foy Update
2. Sweet Potato Strudel with Brown Butter and Cranberries–From My Sweet Heart
3. Beer Cheese Corn Spoon Bread–The Beeroness
4. Butternut Squash and Apple Quinoa–Vanilla & Spice
5. Roasted Butternut Squash with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Crispy Fried Sage–Closet Cooking
6. Maple Cranberry Baked Brie–Will Cook for Smiles
7. Sauteed Parsnips and Carrots with Honey and Rosemary–Baxter and Main
If you need some ideas for your own Thanksgiving table, check out my Pinterest Board “On the Side”.