Carolina Vegetable Soup
A quick and easy vegetable soup that packs a lot of flavor in a short amount of time.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 15 ounces beans (cannellini, pinto, kidney...pick your favorite bean)
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large sweet onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 carrots diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 stalks celery diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 small zucchini diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup Parmesan freshly grated, optional
Add 1/2 beans and 1/2 diced tomatoes to Ninja blender, pulse 5 or 6 times. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, tomato paste, cumin, sage, salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the broth, blended bean and tomato mixture, remaining tomatoes with the juice and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Add remaining whole beans and the spinach leaves and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
Serve topped with Parmesan, if desired.