Ruby Stewbie - Diabetic Dog Food
Welcome to Ruby's Diner! I made my diabetic dog this homemade recipe from 2008 to 2016. Control canine diabetes with a low glycemic dog food made with love.
- 28 cups water
- 1 bag (4 pounds) chana dal rinsed
- 2 bags (1 pound each) brown lentils rinsed
- 2 bags (1 pound each) black-eyed peas rinsed
- 2 bags (1 pound each) green split peas rinsed
- 1 pound pearl barley rinsed
- 5 pounds boneless chicken breasts cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can (29 ounces) Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 2 bags (16 ounces each) frozen broccoli cuts
- 2 bags (16 ounces each) frozen crinkle cut carrots
- 2 bags (16 ounces each) frozen green beans
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach
Pour water into a 20-quart pot. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Add chana dal, brown lentils, black-eyed peas, green split peas and barley. Reduce heat to medium, stir occasionally.
Cut and add chicken breast.
Add ground turkey.
Stir in pumpkin.
Add in the frozen vegetables. (My pot will not accommodate all of the vegetables so I add in as much as I can and thaw the rest to be added in before storage).
Reduce heat to medium-low, stirring occasionally until most of the water is absorbed. Let stand and cool before storing.
For more information on the glycemic index of each ingredient, see glycemicindex.com.