Spring is in the air! And you know what that means…spring cleaning! What are you going to do with everything you cleared out? YARD SALE, of course! But maybe you are feeling a little overwhelmed at the thought? No sweat! With these helpful yard sale success tips, you can be sure to have yourself a rewarding and profitable yard sale or garage sale this summer.
Get Organized and Stay Organized
The key to any yard sale is being organized from the start.
- Start with making piles of the items you want to sell. This is also one of the important steps to an organized closet, and it’s one of my simple eBay organization tips.
- Then separate those piles into categories such as toys, clothing, decorations, kitchen items, etc. This will make it easier for you to price your wares.
- Keep like items together and sort by price.
- Display larger items on tables instead of bins to keep it easier for people to see.
- If possible, hang the clothing up and arrange by size. It will be easier for people to look though if they can go right to the size they want.
- If you have a lot of small items, such as small toys or miscellaneous office supplies, try grouping them together and sell for one price.
- This pricing guide is a helpful tool when you are pricing out your items.
Advertise Your Garage Sale
You don’t want to forget to tell everyone about your sale!
- Hang colorful, durable, easy-to-read signs in your neighborhood about 3-4 days in advance.
- Advertise on social media outlets like Craigslist and Facebook groups or websites like yardsales.net. If you have some big items, post pictures to draw people in.
- Is there a college near by? Put up fliers near it. College students love a bargain!
- Put up fliers on bulletin boards of local shops.
- Get neighbors involved – the more the merrier! Multi-family sales will draw more people to the area.
Other Helpful Yard Sale Success Tips
- Have a few plastic bags on hand for people to place their items in and newspapers to wrap fragile items in.
- Don’t forget to have change. Make sure you take a trip to the bank beforehand and have a few rolls of coins and small bills.
- Play music to get people in a good mood; they will want to stay and shop!
- Offer water for those hot days.
- Be open to negotiation. The whole point is to earn extra cash while you move your items along to a new home!